Perry Daily Journal - Welcome

Welcome to the Perry Daily Journal Online Edition

Friday, October 24, 2014  
ABOUT US
MARKETPLACE

ANNOUNCEMENTS


CONTACT AND
SUBSCRIPTION
INFORMATION



Chef Connect
Click  Our Chef
to download
Restaurant Menus
 

Entire Newspaper Group Online
Available by clicking on any image below
 
Welcome to WDN Online Edition Welcome to the Nowata Star Online Edition Welcome to The Tribune Online Edition Welcome to The Grand Laker Online Edition Welcome to the Vinita Daily Journal Online Edition Welcome to the Afton American Online Edition
WDN
Online Edition
Nowata
Star
The
Tribune
Grand
Laker
Vinita
Daily Journal
Afton
American
 
         
    Stilly
Post
     

Perry Daily Journal is now on


NEWSPAPER HISTORY

      The town of Perry has had at least one newspaper since the day the Cherokee Strip opened on Sept. 16, 1893, recording the news and events of one of Oklahoma’s new settlements. 

      The first paper distributed in Perry was the Perry Times, a weekly then daily publication. Copies were printed in Guthrie and brought here the afternoon of the Cherokee Strip opening by Bert H. Green. Also on the first day, Lon Whorton came to Perry from Chandler with the Perry Sentinel which he later changed to the Noble County Sentinel.

     Another publication, The Perry Republican, was established in the early days by Arthur Boles and James W. Casey with the backing of Boles’ father, Judge A. H. Boles, who had been registrar of the Land Office in 1889. Virgil C. Welch and Ed Perry arrived in Perry in the early days from Alma, Kansas, and began printing the Weekly Enterprise. Within a few years they purchased Bert Green’s paper, combing the two to create the Enterprise-Times. The Perry Republican later absorbed the Enterprise-Times.

     The Perry Daily Journal was established February 7, 1927, by C. P. Penfield when he consolidated the Republican and Sentinel weeklies. Judge E. W. Jones was editor of the Republican. The same year Mr. Penfield started the Journal, he sold it to W. K. Leatherock who operated the Journal until he left Perry to found the Clinton Daily News. After selling his interests in Clinton, Leatherock moved to Longview, TX, operating the newspaper there until 1933 when he returned to Perry. He published the Daily Journal in Perry until his death Feb. 10, 1949.

     His successor at the helm of the Journal was Milo W. Watson, whom he hired as advertising manager in 1943. Watson bought an interest in the Journal in 1945 and later, after Leatherock’s death, he also purchased Mrs. Leatherock’s interest.

     In 1996 at the death of Watson, The Perry Daily Journal was purchased by the Phillip Reid and Kenneth Reid families, a longstanding Oklahoma newspaper family.

     The Perry Daily Journal, with its rich heritage may very well be the smallest town in Oklahoma with a daily newspaper...a perky, small-town local chronicle recording the history of its people and activities.

Publications affiliated with the Perry Daily Journal

The Weatherford Daily News, the Vinita Daily Journal, the Nowata Star, The Grand Laker, Perry Daily Journal, The Bethany Tribune and the Afton/Fairland American.

Please contact us about joint news releases and advertising possibilities for all seven publications

To view and print the Rate Cards
Click
RATE CARD front and RATE CARD back

The Rate Card is in Portable Document Format (PDF), so they are easy to read on screen or to print.
 
You'll need a copy of Adobe Acrobat® Reader to view the PDF files.

Click here for subscription and contact information

 

  Previous Page  |  Top of Page

Copyright © 2009 - 2014 Perry Daily Journal. All Rights Reserved.